mardi 9 août 2011

Agnostic Atheist

In this article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2009/may/20/atheism-agnosticism-thomas-huxley) from The Guardian Online, an "agnostic atheist" is defined as a person whose beliefs tend away from the divine, but who is unwilling to be too dogmatic about it.

"Thus understood, we all need a dash of agnosticism - of appropriate intellectual reserve in the face of the big questions. The dogmatic alternative, familiar to us as 'fundamentalism', is neither appealing nor helpful."

"Appropriate intellectual reserve": I like this. I think I've had this all my life, but I was always told it was wrong to doubt. I had to "have faith". Well, no. It's much more honourable, in my opinion, to say "I don't know", or "I have a hard time believeing that", than to try to shut your mind against doubt. Doubt is a good thing. Asking questions is a good thing. NOT having all the answers is okay.

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire