samedi 2 février 2008

About me

I work in the field of translation. I am a perpetual student. I love books and words and languages and would like to become a librarian (although my work as a terminologist sometimes resembles that of a research librarian a lot).

I grew up in a French-speaking home, but my parents sent me to an English school. It's only once I moved away to university that I decided to start studying full-time in French.

Sometimes I write in French here, sometimes (often) in English. I'm often at a loss when people ask what my "first language" is, because even if French is the first language I learned, the language of both my parents and the language I speak at home every day with MB, I'm just as comfortable, if not more, writing and speaking in English.

I started this blog just as a place to write down random thoughts and ideas - basically anything that was going through my head. But I'd like to try to write more regularly here, once I'm done my M.A.

Learn more about me by reading my posts tagged "about".

What sort of diary should I like mine to be? Something loose-knit and yet not slovenly, so elastic that it will embrace anything, solemn, slight or beautiful, that comes into my mind. I should like it to resemble some deep old desk or capacious hold-all, in which one flings a mass of odds and ends without looking them through. I should like to come back, after a year or two, and find that the collection had sorted itself and refined itself and coalesced, as such deposits so mysteriously do, into a mould, transparent enough to reflect the light of our life, and yet steady, tranquil compounds with the aloofness of a work of art. The main requisite, I think, on reading my old volumes, is not to play the part of a censor, but to write as the mood comes or of anything whatever; since I was curious to find how I went for things put in haphazard, and found the significance to lie where I never saw it at the time.

(Virginia Woolf)

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire