vendredi 14 octobre 2011

Do less. Read at whim.

From the Zen Habits blog (http://zenhabits.net/glide/):

"Do less. This is my productivity mantra, and it's counterintuitive. I actually don't believe in productivity, but instead believe in doing the important things. Do less, and you'll force yourself to choose between what's just busywork, and what really matters. Life then becomes effortless, as you accomplish big things while being less busy."

I'm adding "Read less". Instead of counting up the books I read this year and feeling like it's not a lot, I'm going to relish the fact that it took me a long time to read only a few, very select books. And rereading books has been such a pleasurable experience that I'm going to keep doing it, getting more out of each reread book each time.

I recently read a review of a book called "The Pleasures of Reading in the Age of Distraction". Here's an excerpt of the review:

"His main argument is that you should read at whim and that pleasure in reading should be your first goal. He also believes that you should mark up the book as you read - or at least you should if it's something more complex than a thriller that's not meant to be analyzed that closely. You shouldn't worry about reading a lot of books; in fact, he believes you're probably reading too fast and should slow down."

(I ordered the book and can't wait to read it! The complete review is here: http://ofbooksandbikes.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/the-pleasures-of-reading-in-an-age-of-distraction/)

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire