lundi 31 octobre 2011

Two movies

Last night, we watched two movies at the Bytowne, back-to-back: the first was a 2011 French comedy about a rich Parisian who decides that he would rather live with the maids on the 6th floor of his apartment building than in his fancy apartment. (Les femmes du 6e étage, with Fabrice Luchini.) We laughed a lot.

The second film left us in a somber mood, though: it was The City of Life and Death (2009), about the Nanking Massacre. We had read the description of the film beforehand and knew it would show many disturbing images, but forewarned in this case was not forearmed. Nothing could have prepared us for the atrocities we saw. And just thinking that it actually happened - that, and much worse - well, it sent a chill down my spine. I'm surprised I didn't have nightmares... there were moments during the movie that I was wishing I had never agreed to watch it. But then again, I had to tell myself that it was important to see movies like that one, to not just pretend it never happened. Like MB said, we have to learn from history so it doesn't repeat itself.

On a more positive note, I love being able to walk to that cinema. Living close to the Bytowne is definitely a big plus.

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire