mardi 19 mars 2013

My bookstore

If I opened a bookstore, and I decided to stock it with only (what I consider) the “best books”, which books would I choose?
 
I like seeing what books are important to other people (or which books other people think are important), so I thought I’d make my own list. Obviously, this is a very subjective list. And it’s a very limited one; I really haven’t read that many books in my life so far. These books are culled from those I have read, and fit into at least one of these categories (and sometimes more than one):
 
(a) I simply enjoyed reading this book very much, OR
(b) I think everyone should read this book (because it makes you think/see things in a different light/ask questions) OR
(c) I think this book is written in an interesting/original manner.
 
French Fiction
L’enfant de Noé (Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt)
La part de l’Autre (Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt)
La grammaire est une chanson douce (Erik Orsenna)
La petite fille de Monsieur Linh (Philippe Claudel)
Le libraire (Gérard Bessette)
Là où la mer commence (Dominique Demers)
Lignes de faille (Nancy Huston)
 
English Fiction
The Chronicles of Narnia series (7 books)
His Dark Materials series (3 books)
Jean Auel’s Earth’s Children series (5 books)
1984 by George Orwell
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
The Nancy Drew series (“Carolyn Keene”) (truly enjoyed)
The Hardy Boys series (“Frank W. Dixon”)
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll)
 
French Non-fiction
Petit cours d’autodéfense intellectuelle (Normand Baillargeon)
 
English Non-fiction
At Large and At Small (Anne Fadiman)
Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman
How to Read and Why by Harold Bloom
The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction
Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris
How Children Learn (John Holt)
In Praise of Slow (Carl Honoré)
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work (John Gottman)
Anne Frank’s Diary
Losing North (Nancy Huston)
 
Illustrated Books/Graphic Novels/BD
Maus by Art Spiegelman
La série Tintin
 
Reference
Le Petit Robert
Le Petit Larousse
Canadian Oxford Dictionary
 
 
(I found this idea on a LibraryThing discussion board mentioning the book A Novel Bookstore. It's “a great fantasy for book lovers” – a bookstore for “the best books”. Which books would I include?)
 

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire