samedi 6 mars 2010

The Pilot's Wife

Did some cleaning this weekend at my parents'. Found a bunch of old stuff (hey, I still fit into this dress!), and culled a bunch of books from my shelves. I'm going to donate a few boxes to my old high school. I've complained about their lack of good reading material before.

Looking through the stacks and stacks of used books in my old bedroom, I found a novel called The Pilot's Wife. Now, I don't remember reading it, so I don't know what it's about, but it was strange to read the title and suddenly come to the realization that I am going to BE one (a pilot's wife) one day. (When I told MB this he said, well, I realized I was going to be a terminologist's husband! Very funny.)

So I did a bit of googling ("pilot's wife") and found some interesting blogs. It's so wonderful to be able to find people who are going through the same thing I am! (Oh, Internet, what would I do without you?)

Ok, there were some depressing tales of cheating husbands (here and here). But there were also encouraging stories throughout. (Like this and this.) I actually found a network called The Pilot's Wives Club - awesome! Looks like a great support group. Even if my friends are supportive, they still ask when he's going to be home and for how long and if we can plan such and such for three months from now... no, I don't know! And it's not going to change (at least, I'm not holding my breath for a job with a regular schedule - if it happens, so much the better). I'm fine with it this way for now. A lot of people "don't understand how I do it" and it's encouraging to know I'm not the only one "doing it".

From the Marriage with Altitude blog:
[I'm sure it applies to helicopter pilots as well as airline pilots...]

So to elaborate - don't marry an airline pilot - unless:

  • You have an incredible amount of patience Check!
  • You have a solid job that earns decent money Check! More 'solid' than his right now...
  • You don't mind doing a lot of stuff by yourself Check!
  • You don't mind moving all over the world Check!
  • You are a dab hand with ebay/ freecycle/ putting up shelves one-handed/checking tyre pressures Check!
  • You have a great sense of humour I think so!
  • You're a very trusting sort of person... Yup
  • You love him more than anyone else in the world. Definitely! (Well, obviously I love my family just as much too. But not the same kind of love.)

And to be honest, if that's the case... You should be fine. Really. There are times when it will all drive you crazy, but I promise, it WILL be worth it. Honest.

And remember - marry the MAN, not the pilot. If you marry him just because he's a pilot, you'll be very disappointed!

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire