lundi 16 mai 2011

Why I Love Terminology

I just spent a week taking a course designed for "experts in terminology interested in becoming trainers in terminology management". At the end of the week, we were asked to give a short presentation showing we could apply all that we had learned during the week. Our trainer's reaction to my presentation was, "Wow, we need more trainers like you, who get all excited about their subject! We could tell how passionate you are about terminology!"

Well, yes, terminology is definitely my passion. It's like a match made in heaven for me, personally: the field covers all of my interests rolled into one: linguistics, lexicography, library and information science, management theory and translation studies.

I love all aspects of terminology work.

I love searching for terms, elaborating concept systems, and especially writing definitions (being the dictionary-lover that I am).

I love the fact that terminology, like linguistics, can be descriptive or prescriptive.

I love that it's very systematic: it definitely appeals to my obsession with organizing and classifying and managing (information, words, books...).

I love reading and learning about new subject fields.

I love analyzing the words we use to describe our world.

And I'm lucky enough to be working in a field related to my passion. And in a job that gives me the opportunity to share my passion with others!

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire