mercredi 24 août 2011

My home library

Today is Jorge Luis Borges' birthday (thanks, Google, for letting me know!). The only thing I have read by him is a short story, "The Library of Babel", which is almost a sci-fi story describing a universe composed of a library containing every single book that has ever existed - as well as every book that could potentially exist*.

Reading an article today about his essay on the future of mankind ("The Garden of Forking Paths"), I came across this quote:

With a large home library within his reach, Borges learned to speak many languages. Later Borges would say, "if I were asked to name the chief event in my life, I should say my father's library."

I hope one day my kids can say the same thing.


*I have to say that I didn't fully understand the story. It was a bit too philosophical for me. Apparently, "many of his stories deal with mind-expanding themes, including "Blue Tigers", about a handful of stones that do not obey the rules of mathematics, "The Book of Sand", about a book with an infinite number of pages, and "The Aleph", a point in space that allows one to observe all other points simultaneously." - from daylightatheism.org)

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire