lundi 22 août 2011

Grief

I've never actually had to help a friend go through a bereavement process before, and I have to admit that I feel like I've been a terrible friend. I haven't been as present as I should have been - checking in with my friend, spending time with her... I've been selfish. Too busy with my own life.

And now my friend has just told me that she's embarking on a HUGE project. A project that will change her life, and one that she can't easily back down from now that she's started. She told me she has been researching and working on this project since February - that would be less than a month after her family member passed away.

I've done a bit of reading and, as I suspected, avoidance is a common reaction to bereavement.

"A common defence mechanism is to avoid thinking or talking about the loss. An effective way of achieving this is to become hyperactive, too busy to allow painful feelings to surface. So the person becomes preoccupied with other activities, either on quite a mundane level, such as maintaining home, garden and work, moving house or by taking on demanding new activities."

"[Avoidance] can lead to exhaustion and, in addition, it will stop you addressing your grief."

"There are no shortcuts in grief."

"Les étapes du deuil :

Trois étapes semblent revenir dans la plupart des cas.

1. L'état de choc

Généralement de courte durée, cette période est caractérisée par l'absence de douleur. L'endeuillé est encore engourdi par le coup. Il est alors préférable d'attendre avant de prendre des décisions importantes. [!!!] L'endeuillé ne doit également pas rester seul, et ce, durant tout le processus du deuil. [!!!!!!!!!]

2. L'adaptation

Le deuil commence vraiment à cette étape difficile et exigeante. L'endeuillé complètement désorganisé doit maintenant vivre avec la douleur et s'adapter à la nouvelle situation.

À ce point, il doit laisser aller ses émotions. Plus vulnérable physiquement, il doit aussi se reposer, tout en faisant une peu d'activité physique, en buvant beaucoup d'eau et en mangeant bien.

Afin d'influencer positivement son cheminement personnel, la thérapie individuelle ou de groupe est envisageable.

3. L'étape créatrice

Lentement, la douleur s'estompe et la vie reprend du sens.

L'endeuillé apprend à cibler ses ressources et à les utiliser au maximum afin de réaliser de nouveaux projets et poursuivre ceux mis de côté. [???]

Il doit regarder vers l'avant et ne pas abandonner; la vie a un sens si on lui en donne un. L'endeuillé ne doit pas hésiter à aller chercher de l'aide; c'est une marque d'amour et de respect envers lui-même."

So which step has my friend arrived at? I don't know whether to be happy that she has moved on and found new projects for the future (surely better than retreating into a depression), or worried that she hasn't properly grieved her mother and has made a rash decision at a bad time.

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire