vendredi 2 septembre 2011

Flight or invisibility?

During an episode of This American Life called "Superpowers", John Hodgman asks people this question: Flight or invisibility? Whichever you pick, he says, you will be the only person in the world to have that particular superpower. You can't have both. You have to choose.

DEFINITELY flight.

I always dreamed of flying - literal dreams that I had when I was young and that I remember vividly to this day. The first dream that I remember well is flying up to the corner of my bedroom, then looking down at the room from that vantage point. The second dream is running across a stretch of grass that dropped off suddenly, stretching out my arms and legs and being able to glide off without touching the ground. What a rush...

It's funny, because flying a big airplane really doesn't appeal to me as much as flying my parachute, or some other small aircraft. I want to feel the wind on my face, feel in control, not go too fast... maybe perform acrobatics like Betty Skelton. (She said, "I didn't just sit in that little airplane, I wore it. If I sneezed, it sneezed with me.")

What an incredible woman!

"For many years three-time Feminine Aerobatic Champion Betty Skelton Frankman Erde was known as the "First Lady of Firsts." The Florida native earned her nickname the hard way, whether as the International Feminine Aerobatic Champion (in her Pitts Special Little Stinker), flying at 29,000 feet, or traveling at speeds greater than 300 miles per hour in a jet-powered car. In the process of setting 17 aviation and race car records, she also paved the way for women to enjoy equal opportunities in aviation, sports, and business."

"She won her first International Feminine Aerobatic Champion on January 1, 1948 flying her Great Lakes. It was there that she noticed a striking new little biplane, the Pitts Special S-1C. Skelton approached the owner who at first refused to let her fly the aircraft, let alone buy it, but she persisted and bought it in August 1948. It was an experimental single-seat open-cockpit biplane, and the smallest aerobatic airplane in existence at the time. She named the plane Little Stinker and eventually gave it a brilliant red and white paint scheme."

(http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/women_aviators/betty_skelton.htm)

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire