lundi 5 décembre 2011

Nature

My friend LP highly recommended Richard Louv’s book, _The Nature Principle_, which is a plea for spending more time outdoors, reconnecting with nature. I can definitely attest to the renewing effects of being outside.

When I looked up the author’s website, I discovered this article: http://richardlouv.com/blog/the-more-high-tech-schools-become-the-more-they-need-nature/. In it, Louv argues that technology is great for children, but they learn different things by spending time outdoors—different, and just as important. There may not be any firm data to prove it, but I can definitely see how it could be true.

When I lived downtown, surrounded by concrete, I remember feeling lethargic and feeling a need to go to a park or some other green space. It was strange; I had never felt that *need* before, having grown up surrounded by fields and forests.

There are luckily plenty of trees in our current neighbourhood (and I realized the other day that I’ve been in that apartment longer than I’ve lived anywhere else, except for my childhood home, which I lived in for 12 years). I think when we buy our house, it’ll be important that there be plenty of green spaces around.

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire